School of Commerce, Addis Ababa University; in collaboration with Professional Associations and the Addis Ababa Chamber of Commerce has successfully launched the first edition of a “Stock Market Series” Symposium on 15 January 2022 – titled ‘Emerging Stock Market Exchange in Ethiopia: Sensitizing the Actors towards a Collaborative Approach and a Flourishing Future’.
The Series provides a unique and regular advocacy opportunity to reflect on the Ethiopian stock-market ecosystem. In the first edition of the series, important players of the future Ethiopian Stock Market will be coordinated to share their wealth of knowledge and experience in the industry, said the symposium organizers.
The presentations cover three topics namely i) IPO Practices and Valuation; In the emerging Security Exchange in Ethiopia, ii) Capital Market Regulatory Framework, and iii) The Ethiopia Capital Markets Development Agenda: Progress and Prospects.
Under The Ethiopia Capital Markets Development Agenda: Progress and Prospects presentation the following are key Ongoing and Planned Activities:
- Setting up the Capital Markets Authority
- Developing CMA’s near-term action plan and medium-term strategy
- Drafting of detailed regulatory framework (Directives and Regulations)
- Capacity development and investor education strategy
- Long-term capital markets development roadmap
- Research and analyses on enabling environment
- The design of the ESX which will be established as a PPP-based share company
- Near-term plan is to launch a program for training of trainers
Enacted in June 2021, the Capital Market Proclamation (CMP) created:
- Legal & regulatory framework for the establishment of key capital market institutions.
- Clear and transparent regulatory framework aimed at ensuring fair and efficient markets, by setting out the principles for licensing, registration, information sharing, and reporting requirements.
- Protection of investors’ rights, in particular the rights of minority investors, and prevention and mitigation of systemic risks by setting out disclosure requirements and accounting standards.
Find the presentations from the event on Commerce, Chambers and Associations website
The opinions expresses here in the post "Emerging Stock Market Exchange in Ethiopia" are those of the individua's contributor(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of Business Info Ethiopia , BIE Intelligence PLC, its publisher, editor, or any of its other contributors.