Pharmaceutical manufacturing is one of the fastest growing industries in Ethiopia with an annual growth rate of 15%. Currently, the market is estimated to be around one billion USD, of which more than 80% is met by imported products that are mainly procured by the Government based on EIC data.
Ethiopia is one of the first African countries to have developed a strategy for the industry.
According to Ethiopian Investment Commission (EIC), Ethiopia’s Pharmaceutical Manufacturing offer numerous favorable conditions for investors. Some of these are.
- An industrial park fully specialized in pharmaceutical products manufacturing and well-equipped with state-of-the-art infrastructure.
- It is a priority sector for the government.
- High and growing domestic and regional markets. The African pharma market is valued to be more than 20 billion USD.
- High diseases burden and expansion of health coverages
- Attractive investment incentives such as corporate income tax exemptions up to 14 years depending on product type and export performance.
- Long-term Government procurement guarantee, 25% price preference and 30% advance payment to government suppliers.
- Trainable workforce with more than 10 pharmacy schools.
- Competitive infrastructure including Ethiopian Airlines and a railway connecting Kilinto Industrial Park to Djibouti port.
The opinions expresses here in the post "Ethiopia’s One billion USD Industry; Pharmaceutical" are those of the individua's contributor(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of Business Info Ethiopia , BIE Intelligence PLC, its publisher, editor, or any of its other contributors.