The Ethiopia Sugar Corporation (ESC) disclosed that the Tana Bales No. 1 sugar factory had started production on Friday.
According to Xinhua, the ESC said in a news release that the sugar factory, which was built by China CAMC Engineering Corporation Limited (CAMCE), began producing white sugar on Thursday after several months of preparation.
By the end of the current Ethiopian Fiscal Year 2021/2022, the Tana Beles No. 1 sugar mill will generate 20,000 metric tons of sugar.
The Tana Beles No. 1 sugar factory is expected to crush 12,000 metric tons of sugar cane per day and produce 1,000 metric tons of sugar. The sugar plant also has a 45 megawatt (MW) electrical generating capacity, contributing to Ethiopia’s plan to increase electrification coverage from roughly 60% to 100% by 2025.
The Tana Bales No. 1 sugar plant project is located in Ethiopia’s Amhara region began construction in 2012, with an 18-month completion date intended, but the project did not go as planned. Only around 60% of the project had been completed by 2017.
In September 2019, CAMCE, a subsidiary of China National Machinery Industry Corporation (SINOMACH), took over the sugar project and began construction, said Xinhua.
Quick Points About Tana Beles Sugar Factory One
- Built at a total cost of 19 billion Birr
- Has a capacity of crushing 160,000 ton of sugarcane per day
- Processing capacity of 13,000 tons of sugarcane and 1,500 tons of refined sugar per day
- The plant needs 21,000 hectares of sugarcane when goes fully operational
- Equipped with a 45 MW generator set, which can generate 30 MW to the external power grid
- Has production capacity of 200,000 tons of refined sugar annually, while creating job opportunities for nearly 10,000 Ethiopians
The factory which had started cane crushing on May 18, 2021 in trial production has produced white sugar on May 29, 2021.
The views and opinions expressed in this information are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official view of BIE Intelligence PLC or Business Info Ethiopia.
The opinions expresses here in the post "Tana Bales No. 1 Sugar Factory Commences Production; Expected to Produce 1,000 metric tons of Sugar Per day" are those of the individua's contributor(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of Business Info Ethiopia , BIE Intelligence PLC, its publisher, editor, or any of its other contributors.